I’m in the market for an upgrade, and here’s what I would like to eventually end up with. For anything I’m buying, I want to note why I think I need it.
(For a comparison, see what I currently have.)
- Canon EOS 6D – I find that I could use higher ISO to get lower shutter speeds and cleaner images – both because of poor lighting or moving subjects. I love Image Stabilization, and for what I normally do, it helps a lot. But a full frame sensor would have a ton of big improvements – higher ISO settings, noise performance, image quality, larger and clearer viewfinder (that’s a big one!), faster and more reliable autofocus (where my T1i sometimes hunts and gets lost). The 6D is the most reasonably priced offering that also is a small and light package, and the GPS functionality is something I’d really use.
- Canon 24-70mm f/4L IS – Yes, it’s new and expensive, but it’s also light, covers a great focal range, and has a built-in macro function. My equivalent 18-55mm lens is of the EF-S variety, meaning it won’t work with full-frame cameras. I’m hoping this new lens will soon come as a kit with the 6D.
- Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS – Already have this one! Complements the first one perfectly.
- Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG – Another new lens, this one is highly regarded as a fine piece of equipment. It’s wide and fast, and with the 6D I could crop to get a little closer if I needed.
Not as Necessary Lenses
- Canon 40mm f/2.8 – Already have it! It’s cheap and super convenient, small and inconspicuous. Easy enough to have, even if I wouldn’t need it over the Sigma 35. Size and weight is where this really shines.
- Canon 50mm f/1.4 – I have it, but the autofocus has problems and I’d rather carry around something a bit more reliable. I think 35mm is where I’d rather be, since a fast prime is most useful indoors, and a wide angle helps in that situation most.
- Canon Macro 100mm f/2.8L IS – Macro photography is something I’d really like to get more into, but if I get the 24-70 f.4L, then I’d already have a kinda-sorta macro ability.
- Speedlite 430EX II – Already have it!
- Wireless system for flash – Not sure what I’d get, but this is way down on my priorities.
I don’t want to get stuck with a case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome – I want to actually shoot. But I’m excited about what new gear could let me do. I spend a lot of time now looking up news for new Canon products (and there should be something soon!), but I think I’d do this much less once I actually get new toys.